Republican Cuts Devastate interests to THE PEOPLE
Can you call Sen. Nelson and tell him to stand strong against Republicans‘ massive, devastating cuts?
Senator Bill Nelson
Then, please report your call by clicking here:
After you’ve called, please spread the word about this terrible budget. Believe it or not, the list below is just the beginning. For example, the budget would also block the EPA from enforcing the Clean Air Act and cleaning upcoal-fired power plants, and put America’s drinking water and waterways at risk of sewage and urban runoff pollution.2
When people realize how awful these cuts would be for them, their families, and their communities, we win the debate.
1. “Dems seek budget vote game change,” The Hill, March 7, 2011
2. “House Funding Bill Threatens America’s Public Health & Environment,” Environment America, February 15, 2011
It’s time to sound the alarm.
This week, Congress could cut a deal on the budget. And if Republicans get their way, billions will be cut from vital programs that millions of Americans count on—while tax cuts for the richest are protected.
But most people don’t have any idea what’s at stake—and how devastating these cuts would be to their communities—even though the cuts could take effect within weeks. So we’re launching an emergency campaign to spread the word. Republicans want to gut programs with enormous public support, and hope no one notices. So it’s up to all of us to spark a public outcry before it’s too late.
The devastating impact these cuts will have on our country—and on your community—is unprecedented. Check out the list below. If we can get it out to a million people, we can start to sound the alarm and stop the GOP. Click here to post on Facebook and Twitter, or simply forward this email.
Thanks for all you do.
–Daniel, Peter, Carrie, Kat, and the rest of the team
The Republican budget would:
1. Destroy 700,000 jobs, according to an independent economic analysis.
2. Zero out federal funding for National Public Radio and public television.
3. Cut $1.3 billion from community health centers—which will deprive more than 3 million low-income people of health care over the next few months.
4. Cut nearly a billion dollars in food and health care assistance to pregnant women, new moms, and children.
5. Kick more than 200,000 children out of pre-school by cutting funds for Head Start.
6. Force states to fire 65,000 teachers and aides, dramatically increasing class sizes, thanks to education cuts.
7. Cut some or all financial aid for 9.4 million low- and middle-income college students.
8. Slash $1.6 billion from the National Institutes of Health, a cut that experts say would “send shockwaves” through cancer research, likely result in cuts to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s research, and cause job losses.
9. End the only federal family planning program, including cutting all federal funding that goes to Planned Parenthood to support cancer screenings and other women’s health care.
10. Send 10,000 low-income veterans into homelessness by cutting in half the number of veterans who get housing vouchers this year.
1. “GOP spending plan would cost 700,000 jobs, new report says,” The Washington Post, February 28, 2011
2. “GOP budget would cut funding for public broadcasting,” The Washington Independent, February 14, 2011
3. “NACHC Statement in Response to the Budget from the House Appropriations Committee,” National Association of Community Health Centers website, accessed March 4, 2011
4.”Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli.,” The New Republic, February 12, 2011
House Republican Spending Cuts Target Programs For Children And Pregnant Women
5. “Obama and the GOP’s Spending Cuts: Where’s the Outrage?” Mother Jones, February 18, 2011
7. “Deficit Reduction on the Backs of the Most Vulnerable,” Center for American Progress, March 2011
8. “The GOP Budget and Cancer—Why New Research Is at Risk,” Politics Daily, February 27, 2011
“Republican Budget Cuts at Heart of Medical Research: Albert Hunt,” Bloomberg, February 20, 2011
“Durbin: Cuts to NIH put research jobs at risk,” Business Week, February 28, 2011
9. “GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds,” Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
10. “House GOP Spending Cuts Would Prevent 10,000 Low-Income Veterans From Receiving Housing Assistance,” Think Progress, March 1, 2011
- Immoral … (ynative77.wordpress.com)
Posted on 4,31,Tuesday, in DAVID J GREGORY and tagged Bill Nelson, Clean Air Act, DAVID J GREGORY, Democratic Party (United States), Environment America, republican, United States, United States Congress, United States Environmental Protection Agency. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.